So remember my Project Health program. Well sorry but I temporarily joined the Project Fell Off the Wagon (and got run over by it) program the past 5 weeks. But I am back friends and ready to get healthy. I learned a lot of things about myself though over the past 5 weeks and I think those things will help me in getting back on track. Often through my failures is where I learn a lot about myself.
Here are the things I know I must do:
- I must workout first thing in the morning. I am more apt to eat well and not waste my morning efforts on crappy food.
- I must eat more protein and drink more water. My energy levels and skin are the worst they’ve been.
- Variety is key. I switched things up with my workouts and food before my “relapse” and that was working for me before going on vacation.
- I need a big goal. It has to be more than a number with my weight or body fat. So tomorrow I start my triathlon training. My ultimate goal is to complete the SOMA triathlon (Half Iron Distance) in October 2012 and my first marathon in January 2013.
- Improve my flexibility. Continue with the barre method classes and hot yoga classes
- Decrease my body fat percentage- Eat clean and lift weights for strength training 3 days a week.
So with my goal of completing the SOMA triathlon in 14 months, I know I have a lot of work to do. I used to be a swimmer and I really enjoy the biking. But running… well I have a love/hate relationship with it. I get into the best shape with running but it’s been so long since I had that running high that I hear others have. I know I had that feeling 20 years ago but it’s been so long that I don’t remember. I blame my amnesia on having children. For those of you who are familiar with triathlon events, SOMA is equivalent to a half of an Ironman distance which is a 1.2 open water swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run. The thought of the run makes me a little nauseous.
So tomorrow I will have my first practice with the Masters group at Phoenix Swim Club. The thought of getting into a swim suit is not appealing. The upside is that fat floats! I surely won’t drown.
And I have a pretty rigorous schedule with running, triathlon, trail running, and mountain biking events to help me keep myself on track over the next 14-17 months. To find events in your area, sign up to get emails from www.getsetusa.com. I receive emails typically once to twice a week notifying me of events in my state. What’s neat about this site, is that I can find events all over the country, especially during the hot summer months in Phoenix.
So my first event is the Rugged Maniac 5K Mud Run. There is mud, barbed wire, tunnels, fire, and people wear costumes. So I’m going as Brittany Spears, the catholic school girl. So if anyone wants to join me, I’m forming a Brittany/Justin Timberlake team. And yes, there will be a video. I hear some “Baby One More Time!” music playing in my head right now and I forsee the socks being thrown away after this run. Good times indeed. If you want to run this event with me, I am forming Team Brittany. You get $2 off registration if you enter this reference number when signing up using the link above: 2407448. Let’s bring a huge team out there and have some fun!
I’d love to hear from you. What are you doing to get in shape? Anyone running in a 5K or participating in a triathalon soon?Tweet